Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Race is Run!

I hate running. So I figured one way to get my feet moving would be to sign up for a 5K and force myself to train. And make a rocking play list for my iPod. And bring my friend along for support.

My friend Vangie, her boyfriend Scott, and I ran the Chilmark Road Race on Saturday and had a blast. Even though we missed our ferry over and didn't get to the Vineyard as early as we had wanted on Friday, come Saturday morning we were ready to go. We got to the starting line and I pushed the play button on my iPod - but the wrong song came on! All my careful planning and pacing down the tubes! Turned out even though it was the wrong song it was a good start to the race, not too slow, not too fast. The weather was amazing, sunny and not too warm - until it came to a long stretch by a beautiful farm pasture with cows grazing. It was all bright sun and the last mile to go. I kept trying to think of the cows and not the sun or the sweat dripping off me. If they could stand out in the hot sun all day I could certainly run a little further!

In any case, we were all happy with our time and celebrated by heading to the beach and spending the afternoon with our toes in the sand. Already we can't wait for next year's race!




No comments: