Friday, September 19, 2008

Got my haircut the other day and even though I asked for "just a little trim" the person took off a lot. OK, maybe not a lot, but it sure doesn't feel like "just a little trim!" The thing is, it's actually nice. Such a cliche, but it looks and feels so much healthier. So maybe it wasn't such a bad thing, even if I feel like it will take me forever to get it back to where it was.

The whole thing made me think of other times I walked into a hair salon expecting one thing and walked out with another.
After college I had what my husband refers to as "blunt bangs." He acts like I walked into the salon and said, "Please cut my bangs in a straight line across my forehead...and make them as short as possible if you could." NO! I did not. Still, he loves making fun of me and has made me promise to never sport blunt bangs again.

A few years ago I was sitting in the waiting area of a salon flipping through one of those books with style suggstions. A totally adorable short cut caught my eye. I mean really short, like boy short. I decided it was time to cut it all off. Here's an author picture of me a little while after that, when it was starting to grow in a bit. I loved having short hair, it was so much fun.
Then, of course, I decided to grow it long again.
When I was little I had a doll with very long blonde hair. She also had a wheel on her back, and you could turn the wheel clockwise and make her hair shorter, or just pull it out to make it longer. I wish I could do that. Even if it might be difficult to get shirts to fit over the wheel.

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

Love you picture, you look awesome with short hair like that.

To answer your poll, yes I had a pretty bad accident. This summer actually. I have really frizzy curly hair that is very unflattering, so my mom halped me (She was a hair dresser awhile ago) with a permanent straightening kit in my hair. But, I didn't know that after you use the chemical kit not to put you hair up in a ponytail. I mean it was June, it was hot, so I put my hair in a ponytail. Bad Idea. I had so much breakage, it's not even funny. Now, almost three months later, it's about inch in half long now in some parts of my hair while the rest of my hair reaches almost to the middle of my back. I won't be able to put it in a ponytail soon!