Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Behind the Pages of LOCAL GIRLS: #2

When I write a book I know maybe 20% of what exactly is going to happen - pretty much just the beginning, the end and some pivotal things in the middle. The rest I make up as I go depending upon where the story seems to take itself.

In LOCAL GIRLS breakfast plays a pretty important role. I hate breakfast. I'm a lunch girl (which is odd, considering Kendra turns down a job at her family's deli and chooses to serve breakfast at a bed& breakfast instead). In any case, sunshine muffins ended up playing a pretty big role in this story. And there really is such a thing as sunshine muffins - my friend Krista used to make them for my kids and gave me the recipe. Sad thing is, I'm not so much of a cooking person. But I still have the recipe and I highly recommend them. They're SO good and perfect for a summer morning! Here it is:

Sunshine Muffins
1 3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 beaten egg
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon orange zest
4 ounces crushed pineapple
1/3 cup oil

Mix dry ingredients and zest. Combine egg, milk, juice, pineapple and oil. Add to dry ingredients. Fill muffin cups with batter. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden. Do not overmix, toughens muffins (and nobody likes a tough muffin). Enjoy!

Win a LOCAL GIRLS/RICH BOYS t-shirt that is so cool for summer. It's so easy:
1. email me at jenny@jennyoconnell.com and put "contest" in the subject line
2. I will email you back (see I said it was easy)
3. When you receive my email forward it to as many friends as you want, but make sure you cc: me. This way I'll know that you passed it along.
4. As soon as I receive the email you've forwarded, you're entered!Want to have even more chances to win?
5. Have your friends forward the email on to their friends, but make sure you have them cc: me so you get credit (you'll be entered each time and they'll also be entered in the contest).

So, basically, email me, I'll email you back, you forward the email to your friends and the chain begins!

No comments: